WHAT IS LEUCODERMA AND HOW AYURVEDA CAN CURE IT
Leukoderma/ Leucoderma, also known as Vitiligo, is a skin disease that causes loss of skin colour in patches which usually gets bigger with time if not given proper medical attention. The word Leucoderma means 'to have white skin'. It is a common (affecting nearly 2% of the total world's population), the non-contagious disease that can affect people of any age, gender, and society although it is more common in females than males and is more prominent in dark skinned people.
SYMPTOMS: There is no other symptom of this disease other than white patches on different parts of the body usually on the hands, face, genitals, and other areas around the body openings. It starts with an irregular blotch of skin paler than the rest of the skin which with time, gets paler until it turns white. The symptoms vary from person to person. It usually does not cause any irritation, dryness, or discomfort, however, it may result in itchiness in some cases.
CAUSES: Leukoderma is mainly caused due to the destruction or damage of melanocytes, which produces melanin, a natural skin pigment. It is an autoimmune disease i.e. a disease in which the body's immune system reacts against the body's cells and tissues instead of attacking the harmful foreign particles. It can be caused due to eating incompatible food, suppressing body urges/ waves like vomiting or urination, excessive exercise, eating non-seasonal food, etc. It increases heat in our body, which destroys melanocytes.
TREATMENT: It can be treated by re-pigmenting, UV light therapy, or lightening the skin in unaffected areas, or a skin graft. However, these treatments are highly expensive and are not safe. Therefore people are now turning to Ayurvedic remedies which turn out to be much more promising, safe, and natural. These remedies have shown remarkable results over the years by controlling and removing the pale skin patches when used as advised.
According to Ayurveda, the skin disease Leucoderma or Shwetakushta/ Switra/ Kilasa is caused due to the imbalance of one or all of the 3 doshas (energies that are said to circulate in the body and control psychological activities) i.e. Vata, Pitta, and Kalpha which reduces the efficiency of one or all of the 3 dhatus namely Rakta (blood), Mamsa (Muscles) and Medhas (fat).
It is mainly caused due to the abundance of pitta (heat) in the body. According to Ayurveda, there are 5 types of pitta, one of which is Bhrajak pitta, which is responsible for the color of the skin. The imbalance of Bhrajak pitta leads to the formation of ama (toxins) in the body which later on is responsible for the depigmentation of the skin. Hence, the treatment requires eating the right food, developing a healthy lifestyle, and natural medication to balance the heat, and the detoxification of the body.
Some of the most effective treatments and medicines for Leucoderma are as follows:
1. Shodhana Karma: It is a type of detoxification therapy that helps to eliminate excessive doshas from the body and restores balance. In this case, it is usually done using Psoralea Corylifolia ( Bakuchi Kwatha) and Euphorbia Neriifolia (Snuhi).
2. Bakuchi churna: Bakuchi is an effective herb for most skin disorders including Vitiligo. It affects the digestive system and the liver thereby removing the toxins from the body, reducing the white patches.
3. Turmeric: Turmeric mixed with mustard oil when applied to the affected areas, stimulates the pigmentation of the skin. It is an easy effective remedy for leucoderma.
4. Manjistha powder: Manjistha is known for its healing powers and detoxification effects. It can cure various skin diseases, diarrhea, fever, cough, prevents liver infection, jaundice, bloating, indigestion, and many more.
5. Oil massage: Oil massage on the affected areas using the specific oil based on the particular condition also helps.
6. Surya pada santhapam: Exposure to sun rays as much as possible is recommended.
7. Aimil Lukoskin Combo Pack :- Best Ayurveda Medicine for Leucoderma
Other recommended food habits includes:
● Fruits like apples and bananas
● Leafy and green vegetables such as remained lettuce and beans
● Root vegetables like carrots, beets, and radishes
● Diet should not include tea, coffee, or alcohol
● Must avoid citrus Fruits, fruit juice, tomatoes, and pickles
● Avoid consumption of packed foods and seafood
● Always try to have light meals
Leucoderma is often a lifelong condition. However, it can be cured by medication and a healthy lifestyle. Consult a dermatologist for your condition as different treatments react differently on different bodies. As called in India, 'The white leprosy' is more prominent in dark-skinned people. If not taken well, it may sometimes cause depression and anxiety. Consult a counselor in such cases.